Pages

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Weekend Fun

This weekend has been a lot of fun.  Saturday we hung around the house and got some things done.  We watched The Secret of My Success with Michael J. Fox.  It was pretty funny.  I made a chicken and bean quesadilla for lunch and ate the rest of that cookie for a snack:)  Saturday evening Cliff and I rode our bikes to Kroger to rent Rio from Red Box.  The kids I work with in the After School Program are always talking about that movie so I really wanted to watch it.  It is really cute and funny.  I tried a new recipe for dinner because I accidentally opened a can of cream of chicken soup about a week ago and I really needed to use it up!  I found a recipe on Allrecipes called Chicken Zucchini CasseroleI followed it exactly except I added a little milk, only used 1/4 cup butter, and I served the zucchini on the side (I just sauteed the zucchini in a little olive oil).

We both thought it was really good but a little too salty.  I used cornbread stuffing and next time I will only use about 1/2 of the seasoning packet.  It had great flavor and texture (I liked the crunch of the topping).  It reminded me of Thanksgiving in a good way!
 I had a cup of my Mom's hot cocoa for dessert while we watched the movie.  I am hooked on that stuff right now.  I kind of go in phases with it and right now is one of those phases where I want it almost every day!  Here is the recipe:
Mom's Hot Cocoa
(none of these are exact when I measure it but it will be good if you want to do exact!)

1 – 8 qt. instant nonfat dry milk
1 – 11 oz. jar of coffee mate or non-dairy creamer
1 – 16 oz. can nestle quik
1 – 16 oz box powdered sugar
1/2 cup or a little more cocoa powder
3 T cinnamon
Mix all ingredients together!

Mix 4 Tbsp.  (or more depending on your mood) with hot water for a yummy cup of cocoa!!!!!  It tends to settle so I usually stir it often when I am drinking it.

************
This morning I got up at 7am and we don't go to church until 11:15, so I had some time on my hands.  I went for a 50 minute walk on the trail, then came home to make Cliff a yummy breakfast.  I tend to make a big breakfast on Sunday because we are both up for Church and we go to the later service.  I made homemade biscuits for the first time.  I used this recipe.

 Before the oven!
 Right out of the oven!  These biscuits were really good.  They had a great texture, but they did not rise very well.  LOL, I watched a biscuit video after we ate and I did the right things!  So, I looked at my baking powder and realized it is expired by a year-maybe that is why they did not rise well!  Ha, check your baking powder...I don't use mine very often so I didn't even think of it.  I bought new baking powder today though so I am looking forward to the next batch and I am going to use this recipe.
 Served with scrambled eggs (3 total split with Cliff), bacon, and hashbrowns.
I put butter and Black Cherry Jelly from Honeyville on my biscuit!  I love Honeyville jelly, we get it every year when we go on vacation to Durango, Colorado! 
 Check out the mess I created!  It was fun though and I did not mind cleaning it up-I'm weird like that.

After breakfast I got ready and we were off to Church.  It was a great service today about worship.  Sometime in the next few days I will post my notes on the sermon because it was full of truth.  We had a guest preacher and he was English and awesome.  He had a great sense of humor and was very good at explaining scripture. 
After Church we headed home and I made My Favorite Smoothie and started crafting!  I am working on some Christmas projects for my family because they are coming for Thanksgiving in a week so I am going to send them home with their presents.  I am a big fan of homemade gifts-obviously I can't tell you what I made because it is a secret...but it turned out great!  I drank more hot cocoa (obviously) while I crafted.  
For dinner I heated up our leftover pizza in our toaster oven.  It was just as good as the first time!
YUM!  I ate a peanut cluster for dessert.  I was still hungry so I snacked on some pretzels with peanut butter about an hour later.  Just have a big appetite tonight for some reason!  
 
I am planning on going to body pump in the morning!  Maybe I will make some Banana Nut Butterscotch Oatmeal for breakfast (we'll see)!!!  Have a great night and a Happy Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment