Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Burrito Madness and Appetite Monster!

I got my car back today!!!!  I thought it was going to be a pain in the butt at the County Tax Office but it was easy and did not take long.  Now I can drive my car...after a month in a half.  My car and me are friends.  Anyways, it was a fun/busy day.  My appetite has been ferocious lately.  My english muffin did not hold me over well this morning.  After I got back from the car stuff I made a smoothie!  I finally made a different one because I needed to use up the last of my pineapple.
In the smoothie:  milk (2%), plain yogurt, a scoop of vanilla protein powder, frozen strawberries and bananas, pineapple, and ice.  It was creamy and delicious.  I immediately ate a Cliff bar afterward because I was still hungry.
I almost forgot the picture hahaha.  I really like these chocolate chip Kid Z Cliff bars.  I got a big box on sale at Target yippee.

Right before work I snacked on some Kashi crackers with peanut butter!  It held me over well until I got home from work.  Funny story...it rained really hard here today and I had to go pick up snack and paperwork for the week from the YMCA.  Turns out it decided to downpour hard when I was getting my last load of stuff.  It blew my trunk open and I run out of the building like a crazy person carrying juice and markers and all that jazz!  People were staring from the building...haha...and I got completely drenched (along with the trunk of my car and all my paperwork).  Guess that is my bad for leaving my trunk slightly cracked.  I had to laugh in the end and now I have papers all over my house trying to dry them out before work tomorrow-I will spare you the picture.  
On to dinner.  Tonight we had baked burritos.  I make burrito mix (recipe below) and it makes a massive amount.  We are usually sick of it before we finish the batch and that is how I discovered these burritos.  After my mix has cooled, I make my burritos with it (cheese, mix, and tortilla), wrap them up tight and put them in the freezer.  When I am short on time, or have no clue what to make for dinner during the week I pull out our burritos the night before.
Mine has an L on it because I can't have corn :(  It upsets my stomach.  

Anyways, I like to heat our toaster oven to 350 (you could use a normal oven), and spray the burritos with cooking spray.  I put them on a pan and cook them for about 20 minutes, flipping them after about 10 and turning up the heat a little for the last 5 minutes.  The times may vary depending on how crispy you like the tortilla.  

 Let me tell you-these are so awesome.  They remind me of the gut grenades fried burritos you get at the gas station that are so good but so bad.  I am so happy I found a healthier version of them.  Plus it is an easy meal when you don't have a lot of time to cook.

 Okay, usually it doesn't explode like this-its probably because I needed to take a picture of it.  That's real life though.  It was messy to eat but so worth it!
LOL I don't know if this picture does it justice!
A pleasant surprise!  Ben and Danielle wanted to go get ice cream tonight.  We went to Red Mango for frozen yogurt.  They have the best frozen yogurt I have ever tasted.  It has a slight sour/yogurty taste in a good way.  I got half dark chocolate, half cinnamon apple with graham cracker, heath, and sprinkles!  It was so so good.

I hope you are going to try this burrito mix because it is very good.  The frozen ones that we end up baking taste better than when I first make the mix.  It is a pretty healthy recipe-if you wanted to be more healthy you could use a whole wheat tortilla (that's a bit too much fiber for me though)!
Burrito Mix

1 pound ground beef or turkey (I use turkey but either is good)
1 small onion (optional)
1 can ranch style beans (I leave the juice)
1 can pinto beans (I drain these)
1 can rotel
1-2 cups frozen cubed potatoes
1 cup corn (I only put corn in Cliff's half of the batch)
Tortillas 
Shredded cheese

In a large pot, cook your meat and onion until it is browned.  I usually stir in a little garlic salt and pepper.  Add the rest of your ingredients (except tortilla and cheese) and stir until bubbling.  Take mix off the heat and start to warm your tortillas.  I put the burrito mix and cheese in a warm tortilla and enjoy!  Serve with a side of salsa or salsa sour cream.  Make frozen burritos with about half of the mix so you don't get burnt out.

Have a great night.

No comments:

Post a Comment