Pages

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Unplanned Amazing Dessert

I am eating an amazing ice cream creation right now!  I made it on the spur of the moment and I am happy I did.
Dutch Chocolate Blue Bell, a Reese's cup, 2 Oreo's, a mini Twix, banana, and peanut butter.
First I chopped all the toppings:)  Then, last minute I decided to put the ice cream into the ninja with a little milk and 1/2 of a frozen banana.  I whirled that together about 10 pulses.  Then I added a scoop of peanut butter and all the toppings.  I pulsed it about 6 more times and viola:
I split the creation into two bowls. I put it back in the freezer for about ten minutes so it could freeze a little more.  I used almost an entire pint of Blue Bell, but it did not make a huge bowl.  I was a little surprised but it was so good I did not need a huge bowl.

Okay, on to dinner!  I made homemade skillet macaroni and cheese and Vegetable Sauté with Simple Cream Sauce.  If you are looking for a simple veggie side dish, this would be a good one to try...it was a nice change from my plain skillet veggies.
Veggies in the skillet.  The cream is not heavy on these...just a light coating.  I was happy because I used up the uneaten veggie tray veggies from Thanksgiving. 
This meal is fast and super delicious.  I have made this mac and cheese two times and it was great both times.  Here is the process:

 Water, milk, and noodles to simmer!
 Add milk and cornstarch mixture and get ready to add cheese.
 Stir, stir, stir!
 Until it gets all creamy and cheesy, beautifully thick.
 Here is my stove full of dinner:)
Onto the plate and into my stomach.  You have to try this macaroni and cheese it is so delicious.
Skillet Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups water, plus extra if needed
1 cup milk (I used whole)
6 ounces (about 1.5 cups) rotini
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (3/4 cup)
1 tablespoons butter
Ground black pepper to taste
DIRECTIONS:
Bring 2 cups water, 1/2 cup milk, the rotini, and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat. Cook at a vigorous simmer, stirring often, until the rotini is tender and some of the liquid has disolved, 9 to 12 minutes.
Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup milk, the cornstarch, mustard and hot sauce together in a small bowl, then stir into the skillet. Continue to simmer slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
Off the heat, stir in the cheddar and Monterey Jack, one handful at a time, adding water as needed to adjust the consistency of the sauce (I didn’t need any additional water when I made it). Stir in the butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
*This is modified from MelsKitchenCafe (the first time I made it I followed her recipe exactly, this time I needed to half it, so I tried it exactly how it is above.


No comments:

Post a Comment