Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

A Better Evening

I felt very scattered today.  I had a lot to do and it was hard to get it done.  I DID eat a yummy breakfast of a half a pumpkin bagel with scrambled eggs, went to the Chiropractor, cleaned a little, went for a walk, ate a toasted whole wheat bun with peanut butter and banana, and went to work.  My Mom did send me this much-needed verse (thank you so much):  "Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you, yes I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10 

Work was very stressful and kind of disappointing.  I work with kids and have a lot to learn.  Things got better when I got home and I am thankful!

Tonight I made Tater Tot Casserole for the first time!  I used to hear of people making this, and I would think, "That doesn't sound healthy!"  That all changed one Sunday when I tried it at a Church potluck.  It may be slightly unhealthy, but I like to look at is as a serving of potatoes that happen to have grease on them.  It is very easy to make-I browned my meat, onions, and peppers before I went to work.  When I got home I just had to add cream of mushroom and milk.  Combine that with the meat and top with cheese and vegetables, I mean tater tots.  Twenty-five minutes later you have:
 I served this with a side of green beans, which you could've seen except my hunger got the best of me and I forgot to take a picture of my plate..haha!  I really enjoyed it as you can see:
After dinner, I felt the need to bake.  I looked at my Cliff (Husband) and said I need to bake, what sounds good?  His response- Oatmeal Scotchies!!!  I used to have this recipe memorized because it is Cliff's favorite cookie;  it has been a while so I had to look at the bag!  Nestle Butterscotch Morsels bag has the best recipe for these cookies.  I make a few changes (listed below). Beware:  this cookie dough is very addicting and you might make yourself sick!  I waited until all the cookies were in the oven, left a chunk of cookie dough in the bowl so I could "lick the bowl".
These cookies are amazing!  You have to try them, you won't be disappointed. 

Tater Tot Casserole

1 pound ground turkey(could use beef)
1 medium onion
1/2 green bell pepper
1 can cream of mushroom
1/4 cup milk
1 Tbsp. Ketchup
1 Tbsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 cup cheddar cheese
2-3 cups Tater Tots
Preheat oven to 425.
Cook ground turkey, onion, and bell pepper in a large skillet over med-high heat until well browned.  Stir in cream of mushroom soup, milk, ketchup, and Worcestershire.  Spoon turkey mixture into a 2-quart baking dish (almost the size of a cake pan).  Top mixture with cheese and potatoes.  Bake at 425 degrees F for 25 minutes.
**Note:  The meat mixture could be made ahead of time if needed!
Modified from:  Allrecipes Tater Tot Casserole  

Oatmeal Scotchies (Lauren's Modified Version)
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup butter or margarine,softened (I use one stick of each)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 cups oats (I use 1 1/2 cup quick and 1 1/2 cup old-fashioned-either is fine)
1 cup Nestle Butterscotch Morsals
1 cup chocolate-chips

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in small bowl.  In large mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in flour mixture.  Stir in oats and chips.  Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.  

Bake for 7-9 minutes depending on crispy preference (I do 8 minutes-soft and goey with a tough of crisp on edges).  Cool on wire racks.  

Makes about 4 dozen.

Modified from Nestle Toll House Oatmeal Scotchies (found on back of Butterscotch Morsels bag).


No comments:

Post a Comment