Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Weekend Baking

I woke up at 4:45am wide awake...what is going on?  I have been feeling good about waking up early but it's weird when I don't have to get up.  Since I got up so early I decided to make Chocolate Espresso Waffles!  I have not made these since college and I was craving them this morning.  I did pilates then headed to the kitchen to make the yummy waffles you see here.
 I may have put more mini chocolate chips on after this picture;)
 
Chocolate for Breakfast!
Wake up and smell the waffles! These Coffee-Chocolate Waffles are sweet and light, and full of good stuff — like fiber and monounsaturated fats. Plus, the yummy combo of espresso and cocoa powder is just delicious. Your morning pick-me-up never tasted so good! 
Coffee-Chocolate Waffles
Makes 5 waffles 
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole-grain pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup 1 percent milk
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons espresso powder
3 tablespoons light olive oil
3 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips (optional)
Maple syrup

Instructions:
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the milk, brown sugar, espresso powder, and oil. Whisk these ingredients together until blended. 
Preheat a waffle iron for 4 minutes, or according to the manufacturer's instructions. (A drop of water should sizzle and bounce when dropped onto the hot surface.) 
Meanwhile, beat the egg whites and salt with an electric mixer at high speed just until they form soft peaks. Fold the whites into the chocolate batter a third at a time, folding in the chocolate chips with the last third of the whites. Fold just until the mixture is combined. 
Spray the heated waffle iron with cooking oil right before using. Add enough batter to almost cover the waffle grids (3/4 cup) and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve the waffles with maple syrup. 
Note: To keep the waffles warm, place them in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet in a preheated 250°F oven. 
Per waffle: 235 calories, 10g fat, 29g carbohydrates, 10g protein, 5g fiber, 400mg sodium
****This is a Denise Austin recipe but I can't seem to find the link online (good thing I made a copy of it!

We went to a community service project with our church at 8am.  It was cool they had tons of projects to do around the community and you could pick one based on your talents.  We had a little time before our project so I decided to do some baking/making.  First, I wanted to take cookies to the lady we were going to help...so I decided on my Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate  Cookies (great for Christmas!).  They have mostly wheat flour in them and they are so good.  They were really easy to work with today because I used parchment paper on my cookie sheets.  You need to try these cookies you will not be dissapointed-plus they have fruit and fiber in them-they are so healthy;)
 They are very good with a cup of coffee.
Fresh out of the oven.  Then it was on to Mom's Hot Cocoa!
This hot cocoa is a little expensive to make but it gives you a huge batch.  I always give it away at Christmas time.  It is full of cinnamon yumminess.  It feels so cozy in my stomach when I drink it!
 This would be a good gift idea.  A plate of baked goods with a jar of hot cocoa-how can you go wrong?


Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies (Amazing!!!)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup margarine or butter softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 ½ cup oats
1/2 cup dried cranberries (or a little more)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips (or a little more)

Heat oven to 375.  Spray cookie sheets with PAM.  In large bowl combine sugars and margarine, beat until fluffy.  Add vanilla and egg, blend well.  In separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; add to wet mixture.  Stir in oats, craisins, and chips.
Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
Bake 7-10 minutes.

*When these come out of the oven and are cooling they are a little tricky to work with.  Sometimes you have to push the edges in with a spatula but the end result is worth itJ  It makes about 24 average sized cookies!


We ate a bowl of chili with a side of a tortilla then we were off to our project!  After the service project, we came home and I cleaned a little.  I decided to go for a walk run because the weather was so nice!  After that I was very hungry for Bacon Mac.  This recipe is one of my favorite mac recipes-it is slightly adapted from this Cooking Light recipe.  We add a little more cheese and a little more bacon.
 This is the sauce on the stove before I add the cheese and bacon!
 It all melts together to create this delicious meal.
It gets a nice crispy topping because you broil it for a little while.
Served with a side of roasted asparagus.

I had a lot of cleaning to do after this meal but it was worth it.  I did a little blogging then we watched I Spy.  It was really funny.  I decided to try my new batch of Hot Cocoa and I freaked out because it tasted way different.  I don't know what was up with it but after trying a million (okay not that many but my tongue is burned!), I realized it needed more dry milk.  Geez I'm glad I fixed it because I crave that stuff every day and I was planning on giving lots of it away.  I also might have eaten a big ol' cookie!  I am getting so excited because my parents, brother, and sister-in-law are coming Monday!  I have lots of things to do before they get here (but it is fun stuff)-ahhhh it's going to be great.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  Enjoy your Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment