Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Catching Up!

This weekend is going to be a weekend of baking!!!!  I am so excited and have already made lots of yummy things.  Before I get to that, I wanted to do a quick overview of the last few days.  

Wednesday was busier than I expected and I did not come home until almost 9pm and I needed to bake for Women's Bible Study-so I did not get to blog.  It was a good day though.  

 For breakfast I had Butterscotch Banana Nut Oats with crushed graham crackers.  It was really good but made my stomach hurt so I think I will take a break from oats for a while-LOL that could change when the craving strikes.
 Quick lunch of my usual crazy salad.  I was really in the mood for a biscuit and we had a lot leftover from Sunday so I skilleted it with a little butter and put black cherry jelly on it...it was so yummy (they have stayed good for a while).
Dinner was on the go.  I met Cliff after work and he brought me a grilled cheese.  We went to our Wednesday night prayer service and it was good.
Look at that goodness-Cliff is really good at making grilled cheese.  I also had a peanut cluster:)
On to the Wednesday night baking!  Thursday was our last Women's Bible study for the year so we were supposed to bring goodies and just hang out.  I decided to make my Strawberry Oat Bars (which I have made a lot for Sunday School).  They are very easy-I usually make them the night before I take them somewhere.  

 Right out of the oven!
Strawberry preserves shine through-these are so good.
Check out the finished product.  You need to make these-people always say they are so good.  When we left our Sunday School class in Corpus they were like, "Who is going to make the Strawberry Bars? :("  They are fairly healthy as far as pastry-type bars are concerned.  When I eat them I think of it as an oaty sweet biscuit with butter and jelly:)
Strawberry Oat Bars
1/2 cup margarine
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup ground oatmeal (I used my blender until it was a little more coarse than flour)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts or pecans, divided
3/4 cup strawberry or raspberry preserves
2 Tbsp. lemon juice (can use a little less depending on how tart you like it)

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp. milk

  1. Preheat oven to 325.  In a mixing bowl, cream butters and sugars.  Beat in egg and vanilla.  In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.  Stir in ¼ cup nuts. 
  2. Spread half of the dough into a 13in. x 9in cake pan coated with non-stick spray.  Combine preserves and lemon juice; spread over dough.  Dollop remaining dough over the top and sprinkle with remaining nuts.
  3. Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool in pan on wire rack.  Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over bars.  Let stand until cooled and cut into bars.  I usually make them the night before I take them somewhere and refrigerate them if there are any leftover!  

No comments:

Post a Comment