Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sausage and Beans

I am glad Monday is over!  It was not my favorite day yesterday-but some days are like that and it's ok.  On an up note, I made a delicious dinner.  I got the recipe out of my Taste of Homes magazine; it is very easy and I will definitely be making it again. 
 Hearty Sausage and Beans with wilted spinach
 I simmered the beans and sausage for about 30 minutes
 This cooks down a lot and only takes about 4 minutes total
I modified the recipe a little so here is mine.  Feel free to check out the link if you want the exact recipe.
Sausage and Beans
1/2 pound sausage (I used the kind that you would grill)
1/2 chopped onion
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 clove crushed garlic
1 can pinto beans (15oz), drained and rinsed-next time I will use more
5oz water (half of the rotel can)
1 can rotel 
1 rounded tsp. ranch powder
1 cup uncooked rice (I used Uncle Bens boil-in-a-bag brown rice and loved it)

In a large skillet cook onion and sausage until onion is tender.  Add chopped garlic and stir for about 1 minute (careful it can scortch).  Add the beans, water, rotel, and ranch powder and bring to a simmer.  Let that simmer for about 30 minutes.  While that is simmering, cook your rice-depending on the kind you use, the time may vary.  When your rice is done, fluff it and add it to your sausage mixture.  Stir well and it is ready to serve.

Wilted Spinach
Sautee 2 cloves garlic in 1 Tbsp. olive oil for about 1 minute.  Add 1 Tbsp. white cooking wine and some salt and stir around for about 1 minute.  Add about 6 oz (almost a whole 9 oz bag) of fresh spinach and stir continuously for about 2 minutes until just wilted.  Serve immediately.
 This was my lunch.  Leftover grilled chicken on a salad with lots of veggies.
 My favorite part were the grilled potatoes that I re-warmed in the skillet!
 My Monday morning breakfast with my amazing cup of coffee
I kept my breakfast simple this morning because I went to an ab class (instead of cardio), and didn't want to barf lol!  I am about to go to lunch with my Aunt.
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 
Joshua 1:8 
I did not have a good day yesterday, but that is okay:)  God's word keeps me grounded and brings comfort no matter how I am feeling for the day.  Hope you find this as encouraging as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment