Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Calzones to Remember

When I was a very picky young eater, my parents made me try something new at one of our favorite pizza places.  It was a pepperoni calzone and I was hooked!  When we go to pizza places now, we never order calzones and I'm not sure why.  My friend Amber made this awesome pizza dough a while back and since then I have been craving homemade dough.  I decided to venture out and make calzones with the dough instead of traditional pizza and we loved them.  Every once in a while I got a bite of pepperoni and cheese and it reminded me of our favorite pizza place we ate at when I was little!  You have got to try this dough, it is good for calzones or pizza.  Being my normal self, I combined two recipes (the one Amber made a while back and one my friend Kristen recommended)!  I believe this will be my go-to recipe now.
 Fresh and hot out of the oven.
 This is what the dough looked like when I pulled it out of the fridge.  When I got home from work (5 hours later), it was soft and ready to roll!
This is what it looks like rolled out (at this point you could do pizza or calzone).  I loaded this sucker with bacon, meatballs, pepperoni, bell pepper, artichoke hearts, basil and mozzarella.
 Fold the dough over and sprinkle cornmeal and Parmesan cheese!
 Bake at 400 for 25 minutes.
 Cut into it and you get this beauty
 Served with pizza sauce-I want more as I type.
 I will definitely be making this again.
 Remember those cookies I mentioned my co-worker was bringing-chocolate chip with a reese's in the middle....I will be making these in the near future they were amazing!

My Modified Dough
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp italian seasoning
3 cloves chopped garlic
4 cups flour
1 heaping tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 package instant yeast = 2 1/4 tsp
1/8 cup white wine (I used cooking wine)
1 1/2 cup water

Heat oil and Italian seasoning over medium heat.  When that is warm add garlic and stir for about 1 minute.  Add water and white wine and take it off the heat (water should be warm but not too hot: 110 degrees if you want to be exact).  In a large mixing bowl combine flour, salt, sugar and yeast.  With your mixer on add your liquid mixture and beat until combined.  Once combined knead for about 5 minutes (I ended up adding about 1/4 cup flour in the process) and place in a large, well greased bowl.  Place in fridge overnight.  This dough makes 2 pizzas or calzones.  Pull out the dough you need (I did half) and let is sit at room temp. for about 4 hours.  The other dough can stay in the fridge for later.  I would use it within 3 days and you will probably have to push it down a couple times.
Making your calzone:
Preheat oven to 400.  Lightly oil a large cookie sheet and press your dough out onto it.  Start spreading it out with your fingers until it is the thickness you want it (you can use a rolling pin if you want).  Mine was probably about 1/4 in thick and then put toppings on half and fold dough over.  Pinch dough around the sides and poke a few holes on the top.  Bake calzone for about 25.  Enjoy with a side of pizza sauce!
Making your pizza: 
Preheat oven to 450.  Lightly oil a large cookie sheet and press dough out.  Work with it until it is the thickness you want, mine was about 1/4 inch.  Put pizza sauce on top and then all your toppings.  Bake for about 12-16 minutes, time will vary depending on your oven and your preference!
***Just so you know, I think pizza dough is a pretty flexible thing...I modified two recipes and it still worked out.  You don't have to get all fancy if you left out the garlic or white wine I'm sure it would come out (but it sure did taste good like this)!  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.
Modified recipes from Crumbly Cookie and Pioneer Woman
This is our Saturday morning breakfast!  Danielle gave a cinnamon rolls a while back so I toasted them up and made some scrambled eggs.
Mighty tasty!
Have a great Saturday everyone.  We are going to the park later and then having dinner with Ben and Danielle.  Oh, I made some banana pudding and I will post that as soon as I taste it...my mouth is watering just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment