Pages

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Where to Start

I have had so many things to blog about, but not enough time to do it.  First of all, I dropped my phone down a flight of stairs....yes it is broken.  Luckily Cliff had a spare so I had my info switched.  My pictures have been between two phones, so I finally sat down tonight to get it organized.  So, this blog will probably have a lot of pictures that have been taken over the past few days and they may be out of order so hope you enjoy!
 Wednesday night Danielle had me over for an AWESOME dinner!  Yes that is a homemade roll with cinnamon butter.
 Cinnamon streusel pizza.  It tasted like a cinnamon roll and it was great.
Thursday morning, my Bible study group was in charge of bringing breakfast so I decided to make my Aunt Mary's overnight quiche.  It takes a long time to bake, but other than that it is very easy.  Since you prep it at night it makes the morning stress-free (but my morning was not stress-free considering I dropped my phone in transport of this quiche..ha).
Oh, you HAVE to make this.  Everyone wants the recipe (see below) when I make this...trust me on this one.
 One morning I had overnight oats (I am going to try different things with oats because I want to start having them more often).  The flavor was really good but I will have to get used to the texture.  1/3 cup Coaches oats, 2/3 cup milk, handful of dried cranberries, 1 tsp. of chia seeds (place this in a container overnight).  In the morning add 1/3 mashed banana, walnuts, and maple syrup.  Pretty tasty!
 Oven baked burrito!  I will forever love this meal and it is so easy because I have my burritos pre-made and frozen.  Whenever I need an easy meal I just pull it out of the freezer the night before.

 This was my favorite weekday breakfast!  A Kodiak pancake with peanut butter, diced pears, and cinnamon maple yogurt.
 I am going to have this again very soon!!!
 We went to a really fun Rodeo Sweetheart Dance (the Houston Rodeo/Fair started this weekend and it is a really big deal so that was the theme) at our church last night and there was a dessert buffet.  I took funfetti cake balls and white chocolate pretzel bark.  There were so many good desserts (and bbq of course).  We ate and danced and met some fun couples.  I love country dancing. 
 After our dance I did some prep work for our Saturday morning breakfast.  I mixed all the dry ingredients for the banana jumbo muffins I made a while back.  Cliff didn't get to try them so I wanted to make them for him.  This is what I woke up to and this is what it became
So good!  I used oat flour (ground oats) for half the flour to make them a little healthier.
You have got to try these muffins.
I did some major kitchen cleaning and laundry today and it feels so good to have that done.  I went for a walk then we headed to a Birthday party.  It was a really fun party...it was for Samantha (Wendie, a friend from churches daughter), and they were playing volleyball and dancing and there was tons of great food.  Wendie's Mom cooked Salvidorian food and it was amazing (something I could never re-create so I just had to savor it).
I also ate a lot of Cuban pastries (oh my gosh I would not call myself a pastry person but I feel like I could eat these pastries every day of my life).  They were similar to croissants with some sort of cream cheese and covered in sugar.  They just kept bringing us more food.  Next was a delicious fruit salad and then a vanilla jello thing.  Let me just say, they can really cook!!
Afterward Cliff had to work so I went to the grocery store.  I have not been very organized with menus and groceries lately.  I ended up going to 2 grocery stores (oh, I got an awesome chia latte with my Starbucks gift card) and they were out of ground chicken (both stores), so I will be making another trip after church tomorrow.  I am excited.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.  We are going to catch up on some of our shows.  

Overnight Breakfast Quiche
1 loaf french bread, you may not use the whole thing (this time I used 5 bagels because I needed to use them up)
8 eggs (I used 10 because I was making it for so many people, but it almost overflowed)
1 3/4 cup milk
3/4 tsp dry mustard (found in spice isle-a powder)
S&P to taste
1 lb. breakfast sausage
2 cups cheddar cheese
for morning:  1/2 cup milk + 1 can cream of mushroom soup

Brown your breakfast sausage like you would cook ground beef.  While that is cooking, tear bread into pieces and place in the bottom of a greased 13x9 cake pan (enough bread to completely cover but it does not have to be exact or perfect).  Mix eggs, milk, mustard and S&P.  Put shredded cheese and sausage on top of bread, then pour egg mixture over all of it.  Cover with foil and place in the fridge overnight.  In the morning preheat your oven to 300 and mix your milk + cream of mushroom mixture on top.  Bake for one and a half hours (90 minutes), and let sit for 10 minutes.  This is a great recipe to make for a group of people.  If you are making it for two I would cut it in half and you will have leftovers....I have also used gravy instead of cream of mushroom and it was awesome.  Enjoy!
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this recipe Lo, I always want it and I have gotten it from Aunt Mary multiple times and can never find it when I want it. Now I know where to find it. Yum. Yum. :) Loved the blog and that Salvadorian food looked yummy, so did the cake balls and brittle and that Kodiak cake...need I say more? Oh, and the muffins, I'm thinking that recipe is already on your blog, I will have to search for it. So sorry about your phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have it now because it is one you need on file!! Thanks and the recipe for the muffins is on the recipe page (then follow the link)!

    ReplyDelete