Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Random Fun From the Weekend

We had a great week/weekend!  Kourt and Keith were gone most of the weekend, but they did get to stay with us 3 different nights.  We had lots of fun running/walking on the trail, going to Market Square, cooking, and going to ice cream.  As you know we had Chicken and Dumplings for Keith's Birthday, but I did not get to post much about the apple cake, which is very delicious.  It is my go-to apple cake recipe.  I don't go for cake that doesn't involve chocolate very often but I do love this one.  I typically make it for breakfast when I have company because it is an overnight cake, but Keith requested it for his Birthday dessert which was a great idea!  And by the way, I like to call this cake healthy because it has oatmeal and apples in it!
 We had this warm with a hot cup of Earl Grey tea and Prailene Ice cream right out of the pint...that we shared!  The next morning we had it for breakfast with eggs and fruit!
 Fresh blackberries and grapes!
Please make this cake, you will love it!
Here's the close up.  It is best warm, but Keith will eat this cake any way...LOL I mean seriously he can put it down.
Overnight Apple Cake.
1 cup flour
1/4 cup wheat flour
1.5 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
2 Tablespoons flax meal
1 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
10 Tbsp. Butter, softened
2 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
1/3 cup milk (or you could use 1 1/3 cup buttermilk instead of the yogurt and milk)
3 small apples or 2 large, chopped (I don't bother peeling them because the peel has good fiber and it tastes great still...and it saves time)
Topping:
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans
1/2 cup brown sugar (you can use a little less)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup oats

Grease a 13 by 9 inch baking dish.  Combine flours, oats, flax, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl and set aside.
Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl and beat until well mixed.  Blend in eggs, yogurt, and milk.  Decrease speed and add flour mixture, beating until just blended.  Fold in apples and pour into cake pan.  Prepare topping and sprinkle evenly over the batter.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.
In the morning, uncover the cake and let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.  Preheat oven to 350.  Bake 45 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
Hope you enjoy this as much as we do.  Serve with milk and coffee and whatever else your heart desires!
*Modified from American Profile
*********
Other exciting things:
 Loaded Baked Potatoes with baked beans-Kourt made some awesome veggies!
 Grilled chicken, bacon, cheese, butter, chive sour cream, and avocado!  So good.
Afterward we went to Culver's for the best dessert ever.  This was so good I am already craving another: chocolate custard, oreos, reeses, and peanut butter.  The girl was super nice while Kourt and I took forever to figure out our creations.  Cliff kindly saved me a little of his (he got a bigger one) to eat as leftovers this week can't wait!
*******
Here are a couple of the things I made for breakfast (I love cooking for people by the way).
 Jumbo banana nut muffins with eggs and hash browns.  I have not been very good at banana stuff in the past, but this recipe was awesome so I am glad I have a recipe to use now.
 Whole wheat buttermilk pancakes.  Okay, this is the recipe my Mom made growing up and they are so comforting to me!   She would make them Sunday mornings so that we would get our lazy butts out of bed and go to church-thanks MOM!  Anyways, I will always and forever love these pancakes (she usually did half wheat flour, half white and both are great).
Both of these recipes came from the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook.  One is their Muffins recipe, and one is their Buttermilk Pancake recipe. 

Modifications:
Muffin Ingredients (all preparation is the same)
1 cup flour
1/2 cup blended oats (to make oat flour)
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup buttermilk (I use milk and about 2 tsp vinegar-mix together and let sit for about 5 min)
3/4 cup ripe mashed banana (approx. 2 ripe bananas)
1/4 cup oil
1/3 cup walnuts or pecans
I also made the streusel topping with 2 Tbsp. oats, 2 Tbsp. Brown sugar, and 1 tsp. cinnamon to top the muffins.  These are awesome warm out of the oven with a little butter


Pancakes:
Everything the same except I used wheat flour and brown sugar instead of white sugar. 

Hope everyone is off to a good week.  Let me know if you have any questions about the recipes or modifications! 





No comments:

Post a Comment