Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Boxies

There is this awesome Irish Pub in Pensacola, FL.  We have been there a couple times and they have really great things on their menu that I have never had or heard of.  One of their appetizers is Boxies.  Essentially they are deep fried mashed potato balls.  Last time we were there, I told Cliff that I was going to try and re-create those beauties.  Tonight I did and will be doing that with leftover mashed potatoes from now on.
The Boxies are the two little blobs at the top of the plate.  They were so delicious I went back for another.
Boxies
2 cups of leftover mashed potatoes (I used cold ones)
2/3 cup shredded cheese
1/2 cup crushed ritz crackers + 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs (mixed into a small bowl)
1 egg, slightly beaten + 1/4 cup milk (this is egg wash)
1/2-1 cup flour
A little oil for the pan
(Makes about 8)

Stir shredded cheddar into your mashed potatoes.  Take a spoon and scoop out golf ball sized blobs of mashed potatoes.  Roll them and then flatten them a little.  Place them on a plate with parchment and set them in the fridge until you are ready to fry them (mine stayed in the fridge for about 3 hours).  When you are ready to fry them, heat your oil over med heat.  I lightly coated my skillet (prob about 2-3 Tbsp. oil).  Dip your potato blobs into flour, then into your egg wash, then into the bread crumb mixture.  Let them sit on parchment paper for about five minutes as your skillet gets hot.  Place them into the skillet and flip after about 3 minutes.  I also cooked the edges and just moved them around until well browned (just be gentle so they do not fall apart).  Make these, they are awesome and you will love them.  Even Ben and Danielle wanted seconds and that is a first!!!
 I also made some granola bars today.  They are from an Omish cookbook and they are pretty healthy (but to be honest, they are not my favorite).  If you want the recipe leave a comment and I will give it to you, but they are kind of bland and crumbly.  However, Cliff really liked them and said he would be eating them as cereal or cereal topping.  I ate a bunch of them while I was cutting them and putting them away so I feel a little burned out already.  I don't know if anyone else does this, but I have been eating a bunch of junk lately!  I have been sick, and not exercising and have kept my meals pretty healthy, but have been eating lots of extra stuff outside of meals like candy and cereal, and peanut clusters.  I am going to try and get back to some normal eating this week and I really hope I can do a better job!  I have some good meals planned this week so I look forward to posting about them!  Hope everybody had a great weekend.  Also, check out this awesome pizza we had at our girls night last night.  Amber made homemade pizza dough and then we each got a portion of it to make our own pizza!  It was awesome and I stuffed my face.
 This is mine!  Tomato, pineapple, basil, bacon, garlic, bell pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment