Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Try This Lasagna

I remember going to my Aunt Mary's house at least 2-3 times a year in Albuquerque.  I always looked forward to these trips because I got to hang out with my cousins , shop, play video games (which cracks me up now), and eat lots of good food.  Did I mention I love spending time with my Aunt?  Yes she has taught me a lot and I love her very much.  When my Mom would be on the phone planning our trip, my Aunt would always ask what we wanted to eat.  "Caesar salad!!!" I would yell in the background.  Then I would remember real food...and would want something like pizza or as I got older, spinach lasagna.  That would be this spinach lasagna which is easy to make and super delicious.  You have to try it, even meat-eaters love it!
This is basically the best meal ever.  When I was at my Aunt's house, I would eat my body weight in this salad.  I'm sure she bought and extra bag just for me!  This time I bought all the stuff to make a homemade one.  Romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, croutons and lite Caesar dressing.  It was really good I ended up eating a lot of this too!

Aunt Mary's Spinach Lasagna
1 pound ricotta cheese (I used low-fat)
1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 egg
1 package (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. pepper
1-2 cans spaghetti sauce(I used 1.5 cans of the Hunt's by spaghetti sauce because I like it to be pretty saucy)
1/2 package oven ready lasagna noodles (12 oz package)

In large bowl mix ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, the egg, spinach and seasonings.  In greased 13x9 inch baking dish layer 1/2 cup sauce, a layer of noodles and 1/2 of the cheese mixture.  Repeat layer one more time using a little more sauce.  Top with a few more noodles and  sauce.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella.  Pour about 1/2 cup water around the edges of the pan and cover tightly with foil.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  After an hour I removed the foil.  Let stand for about 15 minutes before serving.  Enjoy with salad and garlic bread.
*Thanks Aunt Mary!

Hope you enjoy this as much as we did!  We are enjoying the leftovers as you can see above:)  We are about to have ice cream and watch a movie.  Hope your weekend is going great.

No comments:

Post a Comment