Pages

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Amazingly Overboard

Last night at our friends graduation party she had an ice cream dessert instead of cake.  It was basically a crushed oreo crust topped with ice cream and re-frozen.  It was so good that I wanted to come home and make one for our freezer.  Cliff and I were talking on our way home from church and I said we should go get oreos and he laughed and said why...."So I can make that amazing ice cream dessert."  To which he said, "I think you should just make a giant brownie crust instead."  Oh, okay, maybe I will take it one step farther and make an ice cream cake topped with homemade brownies!  Cliff helped me come up with the overall idea and he said he wanted it to be his Valentine dessert (I gave him a coupon for a dessert of his choosing for part of his V-day gift).  He REDEEMED his dessert today!!!
 Extreme Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake
 A mouth watering bottom layer of peanut butter chocolate chip cake
 Homemade chewy fudge brownies for the top
 These are the brownies pre-oven but thought they needed a pic side by side.  I baked them while the cake was cooling
 When the cake is almost cool, you take your favorite ice cream and scoop it on top of the cake.
 A beautiful layer of ice cream
 As the ice cream sits you can smooth it out and then put it back in the freezer.
 When your brownies are almost cool, cut them up and crumble them over the top.  I needed some pretty contrasting color so I went ahead and drizzled some white chocolate over the top!

Served with a cup of coffee and a movie.  I think Cliff was pleased with his Valentine Dessert.  May I also say we like to call this a Mother's Day Cake.  Even though we didn't get to see our Mom's today we did talk to them and send them a picture of this beauty because we would have loved to share with them.



Lauren's Extreme Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake

Layers Include:  Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake, Ice Cream of your choosing, Homemade Chewy Cocoa Brownies and a drizzle of white chocolate.  Check out the recipes I used.  Then read how I assembled it all at the end

Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cake
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup oat flour (oats blended in blender, can use normal flour instead)
1 egg
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup water
splash vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large bowl combine the sugar and flour.  In another bowl beat egg, baking soda and sour cream until combined.  Set aside.  In a small saucepan melt butter, peanut butter and water over medium heat.  Bring to a boil stirring constantly and take off heat right after it boils, stir in a splash of vanilla.  Pour hot peanut butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir well.  Add the sour cream mixture and beat until well combined.  Pour into a lightly greased round baking pan (I used a large spring form pan for the purposes of the ice cream cake).  Or for a thinner cake you can bake it in a 13x9in cake pan.  Top with chocolate chips and bake for 15-20 minutes.  Toothpick inserted into the center should come out clean.
*Recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe.  I halved her recipe and changed it slightly.  If you want to double my recipe above (or check out here recipe) you can bake in in a 15x10in jelly roll pan.  She also had a great frosting if you were just making the cake.  If I was not using it the base of my ice cream cake I would frost it with chocolate frosting for sure.

Chewy Cocoa Brownies
I followed this Nestle recipe exactly and then added some chopped Hershey bars before putting it in the oven.



Ice Cream of your choice
My choice was  a 1/2 gallon of Blue Bell Dessert Trio which is vanilla ice cream with chocolate chip cookies, pecan brownies, chocolate coated cake and a swirl of chocolate sauce.  I know I know you can wipe up your drool now!

White Chocolate Drizzle
Place 1/2 cup white chocolate chips in a small bowl and place in microwave.  Heat 45 seconds at 70% heat and stir.  Keep heating in 15 second increments at 70% heat until soft.  Place in a ziplock bag and cut the tip of the bag.  Drizzle the white chocolate onto your cake.

 Important Ice Cream Cake Instructions:

Make and bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip cake in a large spring-form pan.  While that is in the oven start your brownies (box brownies would be fine if you wanted to make this a simpler process).  When your cake comes out of the oven put it on a cooling rack and then put your brownies in the oven.  Start cleaning your mess because it is a big one!  When your cake is cool to the touch and the pan is still a little warm, top with ice cream.  As your ice cream melts a little, start to smooth it out.  Place that in the freezer and let your brownies cool as that starts to harden.  When your brownies are almost cooled, cut them up and place them on top of your ice cream.  Put it back in the freezer and you can melt your white chocolate.  When you are ready to drizzle take your cake out one more time and drizzle your chocolate over the top.  Let it re-freeze for at least 2 hours and then you are ready to serve.  Enjoy this highly indulgent cake.

I am headed to bed but had to share this before I started my busy week.  Have a Happy Monday and a great week.  See you soon for more new recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment