Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

New Recipe Success

I have been wanting to try this new Black Beans and Rice recipe for a long time.  Last night I had the time and ingredients so I was pumped-and I am excited to eat the leftovers tonight!
 It is an easy recipe but it takes about an hour, so it won't work if you are in a hurry.
 I served mine with brown rice.
Warm and cozy-hit the spot.
I got the recipe from Mels Kitchen Cafe (link above), cut it in half, and altered it slightly!  Her recipes are always good.

Black Beans and Rice (3 servings)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 oz) petite diced tomatoes (don't drain)
3/4 cup chicken broth (could also use vegetable broth if you don't eat meat)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup water
1 Tbsp. fresh chopped cilantro
Rice for serving (I used 1 cup uncooked brown rice)

Start your rice first if it takes longer than 40 minutes (according to package directions).  In a different saucepan, heat oil over medium heat.  Add the bell pepper and onion and cook for about 8 minutes.  Add garlic for about 2 minutes and stir often.  Stir in beans, tomatoes, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, bay leaf, and water; bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, about 40 minutes.  Add a little water if it is too thick.  Stir in fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Discard bay leaf and serve over hot rice.

I highly recommend this meal.  I was pretty nervous because I don't make rice dishes very often, but it was really good.  In my nutrition class we learned that beans and brown rice, served together, make a complete protein so that is also a plus.  Also, it is very cheap to make.  If you don't have a lot of time for dinner during the week you could always make it Sunday and then you will have a couple easy meals during the week.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment