Pages

Monday, January 9, 2012

Weekend Wrap Up

Overall it was a relaxing weekend!  I made Cliff a green monster on Sat afternoon and he liked it.  Crazy I know, but it made me happy.
 I made meatloaf for my aunt and uncle Sat evening.  I am so sad because I forgot to take a picture after all that work:)  I am going to post the meatloaf recipe because it is really good and you should still make it.  When I have it as leftovers I will take a picture.  I did get one picture of the ingredients ha like that is helpful.
 Ingredients go into the bowl and you have to mix it really well.  I use a spoon until the last minute, then I have to get all dirty and mix it with my hands...it is worth it though:)
Somehow I remembered to take a picture of the red velvet cheesecake from Cheesecake Factory that my aunt brought.  This is so good and sweet and delicious..mmmmm.


Aunt Mary's Meatloaf
1 pound ground beef (can use a little more and I have also made with ground turkey)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup milk
7 Tbsp. Ketchup, divided (2 Tbsp. goes in loaf, 5 Tbsp. on top)
1/4 cup dried onion
1 egg
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
1.5 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp brown sugar (for top)+ 1tsp. in loaf

 Preheat oven to 350.  Combine beef, oats, milk, 2 Tbsp. Ketchup, onion, egg, worcestershire, salt, chili powder, 1 tsp. brown sugar, and mix well.  Shape into loaf and place on Release foil in shallow baking dish (you can use regular foil also).  Bake 1 hour.  Combine 5 Tbsp. Ketchup + 1 Tbsp. brown sugar and spread over top of loaf.  Bake 15 minutes more.  Serves 6.
 **********
Sunday we went to church and it was a great and challenging sermon.  He talked about reaching out and sharing the truth we know about God with people.  It can be challenging, but why wouldn't we share that good news.  I am working on it:)  We fueled up for church with cinnamon raisin bagels
Peanut butter and butter with Snickeroo coffee yipeee!
Kept it pretty simple for lunch because my stomach was hurting for some odd reason:(  I had fage yogurt with raspberries and blackberries.
Combine it all together and it is quite tasty.
I also snacked on Honey Bunches of Oats in the afternoon and late-night...I have had a big appetite:)  I made some really good, vegetarian re-fried beans.  I will be using the recipe again.  I didn't even bother soaking them...just boiled them and blended them.  It took a total of about 4 hours and we used them to build nachos.
 Also, I made pico de gallo, and guacamole.
 Start with chips
 Add beans and cheese and microwave (Mine got a little soggy so I recommend putting beans on after you microwave cheese).
 Top with lots of good stuff!
 Best part of dinner was dessert from my awesome friend Kristen.  She sent me these from Baltimore and they were delicious!
 French press decaf coffee.  These had a simple cookie on the bottom and a huge glob of fudgy goodness on top:)  Equals a happy Lauren.
Yes!
So, about the vegetarian beans, I was impressed.  I found this recipe randomly online here, and modified the cooking method.  I typically used bacon grease in my beans, so I was a little hesitant to lose that bacon flavor, but Cliff and me both liked them and I have leftovers for the week!

Vegetarian Refried Beans
2 T olive oil
1/2 a medium yellow onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 jalapeno, diced
1.5-2 cups of dry pinto beans (mine was closer to 2 cups)
S + P + garlic powder or fajita seasoning to taste

Heat olive oil in med to large pot over med-low heat.  Add onion to oil and let cook.  Sort pinto beans (no rotten looking beans or rocks).  Rinse beans well, and set aside.  Turn up heat to med and add jalapeno and garlic and stir.  After about 2 minutes (be careful not to burn garlic), add beans and about 4 cups water.  Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer for about 3 hours with lid on.  I made sure there was about 1 inch of water over my beans at all times so keep an eye on them, stir occasionally, and add water as needed.  After three hours, I used my hand-held blender to whip them (you could blend or mash them).  Mine were really runny at this point, so I simmered for an hour with no lid and they came out to the perfect consistency!  Season to taste and enjoy.
Makes about 8 servings



No comments:

Post a Comment