Pages

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce

I did it again, took the leap and made something new even though I was cooking for company!  Thankfully, it turned out good and we all enjoyed the dinner.  I saw a Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese recipe on Oh She Glows a while back and have had the squash for about 3 weeks.  Finally last night I cooked it.  I made a few modifications because I am not vegan and it was a vegan recipe.  It is really similar though.  It does not taste like Mac and Cheese so don't think that...it tastes like a slightly sweet, light creamy pasta sauce.
 On top of bowtie pasta with spinach and asparagus.
 First you cube the squash-I recommend microwaving the entire squash for about 4 minutes so it is easier to cut (just wash it and poke holes in it).
 Toss with olive oil, s & p, and roast at 425.
 Make a gravy type sauce with milk, butter, corn starch, and nutritional yeast (a cheese flavor seasoning).  Once this thickens, add it to the blender with the squash and blend well.  I had to add water to make it smooth.
 Back to the stove while I sauteed some asparagus on high heat.
Resulting in this lovely meal.
The sauce is definitely different, but I will make it again.  We all really liked it and it is a great way to get your vegetable servings in.  Also, it was a nice change from your typical pasta sauces.  Here is my modified version, if you want the original it is here, and she also has some great pictures.  I am debating on how to use the leftovers.  I will either put it on pasta or use it as pizza sauce!

Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
1 fresh butternut squash chopped, 1.5-2lbs. (I pierced it and microwaved it for 4 minutes with the skin on, some     people peel them, but I left the peel on because I was going to blend it anyway)
Olive oil, S & P for coating the squash
1 Tbsp. butter
1 cup milk
1 Tbsp. corn starch
5 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/4 tsp. mustard powder, or 2 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
Parsley, dried chives, red pepper flakes, optional (sprinkled in the before I blended the sauce)
S & P to taste
4 servings of pasta

Preheat oven to 425.  Line a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray.  Mix chopped squash with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Roast for 35 minutes, uncovered.  Keep and eye on it, you may need to stir it a little.

When your squash is almost done you can start your sauce.  Add butter to a med-low skillet.  In a bowl wisk together cornstarch and milk until clumps are gone.  Slowly wisk into warm butter skillet.  Stir in nutritional yeast, mustard powder, garlic, and seasoning.  Stir frequently until it thickens (mine did not take long).  Cook pasta according to package directions.  

While pasta is cooking, blend about 2 cups squash with sauce from stove.  I added about a cup of water along the way, but add it gradually until it is the consistency you want.  Put it back on the stove on low heat until everything else is done.

After your pasta is done, toss with olive oil (and I also threw some fresh spinach in there!).  Top pasta with sauce and enjoy.  Let me know if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment