Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Chicken Pot Pie

I have had a major craving for Chicken Pot Pie lately.  I have never made it before so have kind of neglected the craving, until now.  I decided to make it with fresh veggies because it tastes better and I had all my veggies on hand.
 I diced my carrots, onion, and celery ahead of time.  The potato right before I was ready to cook.
 Melt butter in a skillet and add your veggies (I also added bell pepper and cauliflower because I had some already cut in my fridge)

 As your veggies start to soften, add flour and stir.
 Then you are ready to add chicken broth, milk and chicken
 Simmer until it thickens and melds together
 While that is simmering you can roll out your pie crust (I also made this earlier in the day)
 Pour veggies into a pie pan and then top it with your crust.  It was really hard to work with the edges so I just left them and it still tasted good
 Let this sucker cool for about 20 minutes and then you are ready to devour:)
 This was very delicious, a little runny so next time I will use a little less liquid (my recipe below is already modified).
 I had to go back for seconds because it was so good.  I loved the pie crust-which is great because it was my first time to make it (so it could have been a major fail).  It is a very easy recipe so check it out below.  I will be using that for my pies at Thanksgiving
 Cliff was playing with my camera settings while I got everything together...I like this picture!  On to the pie crust
 Flour, salt and shortening (don't judge me)
 Use a pastry cutter to blend it together and it should look like this.  Stir in milk with a fork and then you get dough
 I split it in half and froze the other part of it.
I kept it in the fridge for about 3 hours (you don't have to do that I was just trying to save time and a mess by doing it early).  Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

My First Chicken Pot Pie
1/2 recipe Judy's Pie Crust (see below)
1 small onion, diced
1 small potato, cubed
2/3 cup celery, diced
2/3 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup cauliflower (optional, could do peas or broccoli)
1/4 cup bell pepper
2 Tbsp. butter + 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 cup Tbsp flour
splash white wine (optional)
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, cut up (I used my crock-pot chicken)

Preheat oven to 400.  In a large skillet cook vegetables in butter over medium heat.  When they start to soften (about 8 minutes), add your flour and seasoning.  Cook for about 1 minute.  Add a splash of white wine and stir.  Add your broth and milk at the same time and bring to a low simmer.  Add your chicken and simmer until it starts to thicken.  Once your mixture has thickened, pour it into a deep dish pie pan.  Cover with your pie crust, rolled out into a circle.  Poke holes in it to vent (don't forget).  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until crust is cooked through.  Allow to sit for 20 minutes before cutting into it.

Judy's Pie Crust (makes 2 pie crusts)
2 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup wheat and 1 1/2 cups white)
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening (don't judge me!)
1/2 cup milk

Measure flour and salt into a large mixing bowl.  Using a pastry cutter or a fork mix in shortening until it resembles coarse crumbles.  Add milk all at once and stir with a fork until just blended.  Form a ball and cut it in half.  Roll out on a lightly floured surface, pushing cracks together on edges.  If you want to freeze the other dough ball you can.  I used one for my chicken pot pie, and froze one in a ziplock bag. 

This scripture keeps standing out to me:
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.
Psalm 40:1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment