Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Wonderful Chicken Pillows of Goodness

Our friends introduced us to a wonderful way to eat chicken.  Thankfully I got to watch/help as they made it so I know how it is done.  It is an indulgent meal, that is so worth it.  I will be making it again soon.  I don't  know what they are called, but basically it is shredded chicken and cream cheese, placed in a croissant, buttered, dipped in panko breadcrumbs and baked.  Then you make a luxurious sauce to top them.  Words are not doing it justice I'm telling you
 We had sauteed veggies with these beauties
 Amber baked her chicken (4 chicken breasts), shredded it and then put it in a bowl.  Then put about 4 Tbsp of cream cheese (fat free), a splash of milk, seasonings and mix well.  Next roll out a can of croissants (she used reduced fat and two cans total because one can makes 2 servings).  Split the dough so that there are 4 croissant triangles and pinch them together.  Divide your chicken mixture into 4 sections and place it on the dough as seen in picture above.
 Then wrap them up into little pillows of goodness, discarding any extra dough that is unnecessary.  Rub butter over the pillow
 You get two shots of this butter action!
 Dip it in panko breadcrumbs after the butter

This is what it should look like.  She baked them at 375 for 25 minutes, flipping them after 15 minutes.  While those were baking Shaun made the sauce.
For the sauce you make a roux of diced onion and mushrooms, butter and flour.  Stir that together for 5-10 minutes.  Add milk or heavy whipping cream and stir until thickened, (he used skim milk and about 1/3 cup heavy cream).  It took about 25 minutes total, be patient as your sauce is thickening, it will thicken eventually.  The sauce was really really good.  He said he used even parts of flour and butter so if I was going to make a guess of amounts I would say you should use:  4 Tbsp butter, 4 Tbsp flour, 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced mushrooms, and about 3-4 cups milk.  He also added some slice mushrooms as the sauce was thickening.  One spice she used that I have never used before was tarragon and it was good!  Next time I make these I will try to get more precise measurements.  It doesn't have to be exact though, you should try these, they are amazing.  They would be great for a special occasion!
Hope everyone is off to a good Monday.  Monday's can be hard sometimes.
I sought the Lord, and he answered me;
    he delivered me from all my fears. 
 Those who look to him are radiant;
    their faces are never covered with shame.
Psalm 34:4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment