Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Best Ever Zucchini Muffins

Within twenty minutes of these babies coming out of the oven, three of them jumped into my mouth!  These muffins are moist and full of flavor.  I searched online for a Zucchini Muffin that was healthy (but not so healthy that they would taste like cardboard).  I didn't find one, then I remembered a Flax and Apple Muffin recipe I love and decided to sub zucchini for the apple.  They turned out far better than I expected and now this is the only Zucchini Muffin I will ever make.
 Topped with a little granola and cinnamon sugar
 Warm and moist right out of the oven, these didn't even need butter (I know because I put it on my first one, but not on my 2nd and 3rd)
 All the goods
 This zucchini was from my brothers garden :)
 I made normal sized muffins because I wanted to take some to work!
 I sprinkled cinnamon sugar on these and then put some granola on some
 And chocolate chips on some

 The ones with chocolate were so GOOD
On to dinner, it was a major omelet fail.
 This is what happens when you forget to butter the pan.  I planned to make a rolled omelet filled with all the stuff you see on top but instead it got all wadded up and I just topped it with my omelet mix which included sauteed potatoes, bell pepper, ham and bacon.
It was a delicious dinner, especially the muffins.  It's funny to think I planned on eating one of these muffins.

Zucchini Flax Muffins
1/4 cup ground flax seed
3/4 cup white flour
3/4 cup oat flour (oats blended in food processor until it looks like flour)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
3 Tbsp. oil (I used olive oil for one of the Tbsp, but it won't matter)
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar, let sit for 5 minutes)

Preheat oven to 400.  In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients.  In a separate bowl combine egg, oil and buttermilk.  Make a well in your dry ingredients, pour egg mixture in center and stir until just blended.  Fold in shredded zucchini.  Don't overmix.  Let batter sit for about 5 minutes.  Lightly oil your muffin tins and fill to 2/3 full.  Sprinkle cinnamon sugar, granola, or chocolate chips on top.  Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Enjoy with or without butter!
Modified slightly from here.

Hope you try these.  This week has gone by so fast.  I am ready for the weekend.  We have some fun things planned.  I need to figure out what to make for breakfast Saturday, I am kind of craving McDonald's breakfast, it has been a really long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment