Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Make It Up As You Go

Have you ever made up a meal, based on cravings, as you went?  I have been craving the leftover vegetables with cream sauce in a simple pasta dish since I made them.  Tonight I made it happen.  I knew I wanted rotini pasta, so I started cooking that and threw my leftover veggies in a really hot skillet like you see here.
I cooked them for about 5-7 minutes then added olive oil to the empty side of the skillet.
I quartered cherry tomatoes and added them for about 1 minute.  Right about that time my pasta finished so I drained it (leaving a little water-not much).
Throw pasta in the skillet and sprinkle with garlic salt.  Stir that and you get this
Oh, it was so good!  I also drizzled a little more olive oil and sprinkled a little Parmesan cheese.
Leftovers made new-I think I am a champion of leftovers this week!

This was the first time I had cherry tomatoes like this.  They made this dish amazing...each bite with tomato had a slight sweet flavor-you must try it....I mean it.  Let me just say if you ever need something to do with leftovers from a veggie tray (happens to anyone who makes a veggie tray-way to go America), you should make the veggies with cream sauce because they are really good and the leftovers are great too! 

Now, let me back up.
The past couple of days have been really busy because I am training for a new job and still working my other one!  It has been good though.  That being said, I have not had many interesting meals...mostly leftovers of soup and more Cliff bars and yogurt on the go.  Thankfully, last night Danielle and Ben had me over for dinner so I had something AMAZING.  She made Stuffed Pasta.  It was stuffed with a meat spinach and cheese mixture.  Topped with marina and more cheese.  I am so sorry because I failed in taking a picture.  I was incredibly hungry and when that happens...NO picture.  My bad.  After I got seconds, I was like oh ya...so here ya go but know this picture does not do it justice-this meal was so so good.
LOL, sorry and she also made that awesome buttery frozen garlic bread.  Thanks Danielle for an awesome dinner.  
I made No-bake cookies!  I made them Wednesday at about 11pm:)  I used Hershey's Dark Cocoa, and they were rich and delicious.  Like an oaty, peanut buttery brownie.  

Let me just say that I look at this dessert power snack as healthy!  I like to focus on the peanut butter (protein baby), oats (gotta get that fiber), and chocolate (healthy for the heart and brain)!  Healthy right?  Who cares about the butter and sugar.  Here is the recipe I used:

Dark Chocolate No-Bake Cookies
1 heaping cup of sugar
4 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. Hershey Dark Cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups Oatmeal
1 handful mini chocolate chips
Measure out oats and chocolate chips in a small bowl and set aside.  In a saucepan combine sugar, butter, cocoa, and milk over medium heat.  Stir often especially as it gets hot.  Cook until mixture starts to boil.  Once it reaches a boil (a solid boil-small bubbles all over the surface), set timer for 1 minute and stir constantly.  After one minute, remove from heat and add vanilla and peanut butter.  Stir until smooth and add oats.  Scoop by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet lined with parchment. Let set until firm.
**Note:  make sure you boil these 1 minute or they do not have the right consistency.

I would have more pictures but it slipped my mind at 11pm!  Hope you guys have a great weekend.  I am making one of Cliff's favorites for B-fast in the morning:)  Goodnight.


2 comments:

  1. Yummy,this is just the ticket I need; a healthy "power snack". I already tried your pico de gallo and the guacamole and the were great. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete