Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Where to Start

Let me just say I have a lot of pictures in my camera because I have not blogged in a long time.  I have still been cooking and trying lots of new recipes.  Since my last post  my eating habits have changed a lot.  I have been trying to figure out what foods cause my stomach problems (also known as Irritable Bowel Syndrome). It has been a rough road but I am starting to feel a lot better.  After a lot of reading and a consultation with an alternative medicine clinic, I have come to the conclusion that yeast is my problem (too much yeast in the gut creates a lot of digestive distress.  This creates a MAJOR change in my typical way of eating.  I have found this link very helpful in knowing how to reduce yeast in my diet.  I have been eating yeasty foods many times a day for a long time, so it makes sense that my stomach was in pain 80% of the time.  These changes have kept me plenty busy in the kitchen trying to find new recipes.  Thankfully, there are a lot of great blogs and recipes out there that make this adjustment a little easier.  Hopefully my blog can help people in the same situation.  What better time to write about a great breakfast option for someone avoiding yeast.  I think I shall call it Hearty Yeast Free English Muffin.  The recipe I found is for a single serve microwave english muffin, but I like to double it and bake it in my toaster oven (I also changed it quite a bit because I didn't want as much almond meal in mine).  The results were good and I have made them 2 times in the last week.
  This morning I had an egg and cheese sandwich.  I made sausage egg and cheese over the weekend and it was even better.

Hearty Yeast Free English Muffin (for 2)
3 T. almond meal
3 T. oat flour
2 T. rice flour
3 T. flax
1 tsp. baking powder
1 T. butter, melted
2 large eggs

Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and preheat your toaster oven to 350 (or oven or you you can microwave).  In a bowl mix your dry ingredients.  Add your eggs and butter and stir until combined.  Scoop into ramekins (it is pretty thick batter) and bake for 15-20 minutes.  If you want to microwave it, it should take about 60-90 according to recipe.  Use a knife to loosen the muffin from the edges and let cool.  While that is cooking feel free to fry and egg or some breakfast meat make your breakfast sandwich.  I'm sure it would be good toasted with peanut butter and bananas or jelly.  
*My ramekens are about 3 inchs.  This morning I used my 4 in. glass pyrex storage container and I liked the size of it better.  Either is fine.  Also, I'm sure you could play around with the flours and flax as long as you keep the dry measurements the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment