Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sloppy Joe Braid

Sloppy joe, sloppy sloppy joe sloppy joe.  That song (by the way the original version of this on Saturday Night Live is better) has been in my head for two days.  I made sloppy joe mix earlier in the week to save time on cooking dinner.  I also had some bread dough leftover from the weekend so I decided to try something new.  I had seen a bread braid on Mels Kitchen Cafe and have been curious about it ever since.  I used my Mom's Refrigerator Roll recipe which is amazing.  Making the bread braid is a lot easier than I thought.  It is also really cool because you could fill it with a large variety of fillings, sweet and savory.  Cliff and me think a pizza one would be good or a bbq brisket one!  On to the good stuff

 Right out of the oven
 Much better than a sloppy joe sandwich in my opinion
 Roll out your dough, fill it with your favorite toppings!
 Cheese, sloppy joe mix (cooled), more cheese.  Cut the edges with a pizza cutter
 Fold edges over each other and kind of pinch them together.  Rub olive oil and seasonings on top and bake at 450 for 20 minutes
 You get this massive Sloppy Joe Braid
 I really like this meal.  I am excited to try other fillings.
 Warm cheesy yummy dinner!
In case you wanted to try it with the Sloppy Joe mix I made here it is (note that I made this the night before and put in on my bread dough cold):

Sloppy Joes
1 pound lean ground beef or turkey (I used turkey this time)
1/2 chopped yellow onion
1/2 chopped yellow bell pepper (or any bell pepper)
1 can tomato sauce (8oz)
3 Tbsp BBQ sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Dash of hot sauce

In a large skillet cook meat, onion and bell pepper over medium heat, stirring often.  Stir in tomato sauce, BBQ sauce, water, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, garlic salt and hot sauce.  Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for about 10 minutes.  Serve immediately or store in refrigerator to make a Sloppy Joe Braid.  Enjoy!

This weekend I will post about the zucchini fries that we made to go with this.  They were awesome so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment