Pages

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Best Ever Healthy Blueberry Muffins

Let me start by saying, I have failed many times at making healthy breads.  It makes me so annoyed when I think something is going to be awesome and healthy, but then it takes worse than cardboard.  Of all the things I have cooked, I have failed the most at this.  So, I pretty much quit trying to make healthy muffins or quick breads.  Well, after we went blueberry picking, I could not stop thinking about how amazing some homemade blueberry muffins would be.  Last night we went to Trader Joe's and we saw some amazing looking Blueberry Raspberry Oat Bran muffins.  They looked so yummy, I really wanted to try and make something similar.  I looked at the ingredients and then got online last night and searched my heart out for a healthy muffin recipe that wouldn't fail.  You know me, I combined several ideas and made my own version based on things from the past that did not work for me.  The base of my recipe came from Sweet Tooth Sweet Life, and then I made a few modifications.  Check these beauties out:

 Warm out of the oven served with sausage and potato eggs and cheese
 This is right after I added the liquid, it is all in the center because I made a "well" in the dry ingredients.
 Add your blueberries and walnuts
 Fill your muffin tin, I love jumbo muffins now.  You don't have to bother with eating two because one will fill you up!
 Right out of the oven
 I put a little butter and devoured this, oh ya:)
When you eat them leftover, I recommend cutting them in half and putting them on a hot buttered skillet.  This way they taste as good if not better than fresh out of the oven.  This is now my official go-to blueberry muffin recipe, enjoy

Best Ever Healthy Blueberry Jumbo Muffins
Dry:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup oat flour (just blend old fashioned oats until they resemble flour)
1/4 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
Wet:
1 mashed ripe banana
1/2 cup buttermilk (1/2 cup milk mixed with 1/2 Tbsp. vinegar or lemon juice)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 egg
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
Add last:
1 cup fresh blueberries (if you use frozen, thaw them overnight in your fridge)
1/3 cup nuts (optional, I used walnuts and probably less than this)
Top with granola if you want, or sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, I did both!!

Preheat oven to 350.  Combine all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.  In a separate bowl mix mashed banana, buttermilk, yogurt, egg, oil and vanilla.  Make a well in your dry ingredients and pour your wet ingredients into the well.  Stir until just moistened and add your blueberries and nuts.  Stir until just combined into batter (you do not want to over-mix this batter).  Lightly grease your muffin pan and pour batter until 3/4 full.  Sprinkle granola and cinnamon sugar on top.  Bake for 28 minutes.  Makes 6 jumbo muffins.  *Note:  I made jumbo muffins, if you are making normal sized it will make 12, and you need to bake them at 375 for about 15 minutes.  Store in refrigerator 2-4 days.
Tips:  If you want to save time, mix all the dry ingredients the night before.  It may seem like a lot of ingredients, but it is pretty easy and so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment