Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Weekend Eats

I have not had the chance to make a relaxing Saturday morning breakfast in a long time.  I made the most of my opportunity this Saturday and cooked one of Cliffs favorites (and mine too!).  Breakfast Pizza.  We haven't had it in so long it was like a new recipe.  I made some gravy the night before, look below for simple recipe.  Other than that I cooked it all up Saturday morning.  I also discovered a new way to have orange juice.  Sometimes I feel like orange juice is a little bitter, so I blended orange juice with frozen peaches and strawberries.  It looked super fancy and tasted great.  If you are looking for a good weekend breakfast, you need to give this a try!
 Breakfast pizza for two with strawberry peach orange juice
 Frothy and sweet
 I have made this before, but I simplified the recipe a little and it tasted awesome, so I will put my simplified version below.

Simplified Breakfast Pizza
Prepared store bought pizza dough (I used Mama Mary's whole wheat-my new go to for this recipe)
1/2 pound breakfast sausage (I just cooked 1 pound and saved the other half for omelets this week)
Bell Pepper strips, thinly sliced (about 1/4 of a bell pepper, optional could use more or less)
Butter, just a little fore the pan before cooking the eggs
6 eggs
splash milk for eggs
Seasonings for eggs:  salt, pepper, cayenne
1 cup gravy (made ahead of time, see recipe below)
1 cup cheese (I used mexican style)

Preheat oven to 400.  Cook your breakfast sausage like you would cook ground hamburger meat, over medium heat.  After it is fully cooked remove it from the pan and add your bell pepper (if there is a lot of grease you can drain some, but I did not have a lot of extra grease).  When bell peppers are browned and soft add a little butter to the pan (about half a tablespoon).  Beat eggs and milk with seasonings and add to the pan.  Stir often, and break up clumps so they are easy to put on your pizza.  Take off the heat while they are a little moist (almost done).  
Prepare your pizza:  Top your crust with gravy, like you would pizza sauce.  Layer sausage on top of gravy, then eggs, then cheese.  Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.  Serve with Strawberry Peach Orange Juice.

Simple Gravy
1 Tbsp. Butter
1 Tbsp. Flour
1 cup milk
Seasonings:  salt and pepper to taste

Make sure milk is measured out in measuring cup, set aside.  In a small saucepan over medium heat melt butter.  Add flour and stir until mixed, keep stirring for about 30 seconds.  Gradually wisk in milk (pour slowly but constantly).  Continue to wisk until flour starts to dissolve.  Bring to a boil, stirring frequenly and turn down heat.  Stir occasionally until it starts to thicken (usually about 5 minutes could be a little more).  My Mom taught me how to make this gravy and I use the recipe all the time.
*This is also a great base for mac and cheese, all you have to do is add cheese to your gravy and you have an awesome mac and cheese sauce.

Strawberry Peach Orange Juice
2 cups orange juice
5 frozen strawberries
3 frozen peach slices

Blend until frothy.

Hope you had a Happy Monday.  I was dragging all day, but it was still a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment