Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

I am totally hooked on Hummus.  I have been having it every day in my lunches for work (because I have to take cold lunches).  I am not sick of it yet.  It can get kind of pricy to buy at the store so I figured it was high time I learn to make it myself!  I finally gave in and bought tahini (ground sesame seeds found in peanut butter isle) and I am glad I did.  I am loving the homemade version even more than the store bought.  It is a lot cheaper to make your own.  If you like hummus, you need to try this recipe.

I love it with crackers and veggies.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
3 tablespoons juice from 1 to 2 lemons
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup tahini, stirred well
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
1 (14-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (or use 3/4 cup dried chickpeas, cooked ahead of time and drained)
1/4 of a red bell pepper chopped, and skilleted until soft and browned
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch cayenne
DIRECTIONS:
Combine lemon juice and water in small bowl or measuring cup. Whisk together tahini and 2 tablespoons oil in second small bowl or measuring cup.
Process chickpeas, bell pepper, garlic, salt, cumin, and cayenne in food processor until almost fully ground, about 15 seconds. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula. With machine running, add lemon juice-water mixture in steady stream through feed tube. Scrape down bowl and continue to process for 1 minute. With machine running, add oil-tahini mixture in steady stream through feed tube; continue to process until hummus is smooth and creamy, about 15 seconds, scraping down bowl as needed.
 *This stays good for about 5 days in the refrigerator.  Enjoy on sandwiches or in wraps, take to a party with pita chips.  For my lunches I take cut up veggies (celery, carrots, baby tomatos, bell peppers) and crackers.  It is awesome to get my veggies servings in at lunchtime:)  Enjoy
Modified slightly from Mels Kitchen Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment