Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Tomato Soup and Salad

I am so excited to tell you I have an excellent Tomato Soup recipe now.  I always figured tomato soup was too difficult to make homemade (tried it once and it wasn't great).  I came across this simple recipe in my Taste of Homes Magazine.  I made it for friends and we really enjoyed it.  It tastes great leftover too.  It is really cheap to make, I don't know if I can go back to the canned tomato soup after having this recipe!
 Cozy Sunday evening meal
 It is good with a little dried basil on top

I made and awesome salad:  spinach, grilled chicken, bell peppers, carmelized onions, tomatoes, croutons, and avocado.  Drizzle with BBQ Ranch and you are set!
Best Tomato Soup (Serves 6-7)
2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 cup butter 
1/2 cup finely chopped onion 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1/3 cup all-purpose flour 
1 carton (48 ounces) chicken broth 
1/2-1 cup milk (if you want it a little creamy)

Place tomatoes with juices in a blender; cover and process until pureed. In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
Remove from the heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth. Add pureed tomatoes; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes to allow flavors to blend. If desired, sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 quarts. 
Slightly modifed from Taste of Homes Magazine (have to have account to see recipe, but can create one easily).
*There are a lot of cool topping ideas with this recipe:  popcorn, tater tots, baked tortillas, gold fish, grilled cheese, pretzels, pasta, pepperonis, cheese slices...they had it as a kid-friendly recipe and the kids could have add-ins for their soup, I thought it was cute.  I served mine with toasted sandwiches and cheesy tortillas (when we had company). 

No comments:

Post a Comment