Pages

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Chicken Biscuit Pot Pie

This is the best pot pie I have ever had.  I don't know that I will go back to the pie crust pot pie (even though it is good) because this is better!  I used my Chicken Pot Pie recipe that I posted a while back, but instead of pie crust, I made drop biscuits and dropped them on top before baking.  The result was amazing.  I made it one week when my Mom was here and Cliff was out of town-we liked it so much we finished it off before Cliff got to try any.  Guess I better make it again soon.
 The biscuits had the perfect moist, crumbly texture
 Just drop the dough in big spoonfuls onto pot pie mixture and bake
Devour, it is great re-heated too!
Drop Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
Drop Biscuit recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt (or garlic salt if you want)
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 Tbsp vinegar with 1 cup milk, let sit 5 minutes)
1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.  In a 2 cup liquid meaure, stir together the chilled buttermilk and melted butter until the butter forms small clumps (it looks curdled don't freak out).  Stir the buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined and starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.  Drop by spoonfuls onto pot pie mixture (see below)

Pot Pie Mixture
1 small onion, diced
1 small potato, cubed
2/3 cup celery, diced
2/3 cup carrots, diced
1/2 cup cauliflower (optional, could do peas or broccoli)
1/2 cup bell pepper
2 Tbsp. butter + 1 Tbsp. Olive oil
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 cup Tbsp flour
splash white wine (optional)
3/4 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cup cooked chicken, cut up (I used my crock-pot chicken)

Preheat oven to 450.  In a large skillet cook vegetables in butter and olive oil over medium heat.  When they start to soften (about 8 minutes), add your flour and seasoning.  Cook for about 1 minute.  Add a splash of white wine and stir.  Add your broth and milk at the same time and bring to a low simmer.  Add your chicken and simmer until it starts to thicken.  Once your mixture has thickened, pour it into 9x11(or a little smaller if you have one cake pan.  Drop biscuit dough by big spoonfuls onto pot pie mixture.  Bake for 10-15 minutes or until biscuits are browned.  Allow to sit for 5 minutes before cutting.

Hope you love this as much as my Mom and I did!  Happy Wednesday, the week is halfway over.  I don't know about you guys, but there is a lot of sickness going on around here, make sure you load up on some Vitamin C  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment