Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Meatless Meal For The Recipe Book

I found this recipe on Iowa Girl Eats and it came in perfect timing because I happened to be having my 2 vegetarian friends over for dinner.  When I cook for people I always want it to be extra yummy, so I was nervous because I'm not great at vegetarian cooking (ha if you remember my attempt to eat less meat earlier this year).  I modified the recipe a little because I needed a bigger batch.
This was so fresh and delicious
It took a little time to cut up the veggies, but it was worth it.  I would recommend doing this ahead of time if you can manage.
I had all my stuff chopped and ready to go when I got started.  I used fresh corn on the cob (soak for 20 minutes while you chop your veggies, microwave for 2 minutes in the husk and then the husk will come of easily)
Saute garlic and onion, add broccoli and squash and cook for about 6 minutes or until crisp but tender
Add tomato and corn, stir and cook for about 2 minutes
Add half and half and Parmesan cheese and let that warm and thicken (1-2 minutes)
My lovely friends-by the way we polished off this entire meal, strong work everyone!
Summer Veggie Pasta Skillet
6 oz uncooked pasta (I used spirals)
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
sprinkle red pepper flakes and black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups brocoli florets
2 cups sliced squash
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 cob of corn or 1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup basil
2/3 cup half and half
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in boiling salted water (set timer so you don't forget about it!).  While pasta is cooking heat butter and olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add garlic, green onions, red pepper flakes, S&P and saute for about 2 minutes.  Turn up the heat to medium high and add broccoli and squash.  Saute until the vegetables are crisp and tender, about 6 minutes.  Add tomatoes and corn and heat through, about 2 minutes.  Add half & half and Parmesan cheese to the skillet and cook until thickened slightly, about a minute.  Serve over noodles and enjoy with garlic toast.
*Modified Slightly from Iowa Girl Eats (Her recipe makes 2-3 servings, mine makes 4-5 servings)

Send me your light and your faithful care,
    let them lead me;
let them bring me to your holy mountain,
    to the place where you dwell. 
Psalm 43:3

No comments:

Post a Comment