Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Cozy Food

I was very excited yesterday when my Mom had a food request because she has not had any requests in a long time.  You can bet I got my butt into the kitchen tonight to meet the request.  Black-eyed peas (*sigh, not my favorite meal haha).  As usual, I got online and looked up different black-eyed pea recipes and then just made one of my own.  The result was amazing, yes amazing and this is coming from the girl that only chokes down eats black-eyed peas on New Years Day.  We both loved this recipe-it was one of those cozy, comfort food meals.  It is really easy too
 Served over rice it hit the spot

Cozy Black-Eyed Peas
1 cup dry black-eyed peas (soaked for about 10 hours or overnight and rinsed)
3/4 pound ground turkey (cooked it right before I served the peas and added it the last 5 minutes)
2 stalks celery, diced
1 large carrot, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
2 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
3 Tbsp Olive oil
4-6 cups chicken broth (I used about 4 cups chicken broth with 2 cups water added later)
1 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. Tony's creole seasoning
Pepper to taste
1 bay leaf (these are in the spice isle and I like to add them to soups, then take out when soup is done)
Optional (sprinkle mustard powder and dash of Worcestershire sauce)

In a large saucepan saute celery, carrot, bell pepper and onion until tender.  Stir in seasonings and then add 4 cups chicken broth; add black-eyes peas that have been soaking and bring to boil.  Add your bay leaf (it just sits in the liquid and you can take it out when your peas are done).  Simmer for about 2 hours with the lid on, adding more liquid as needed (you want the liquid to cover your peas by about 1/2 inch at all times).  When your peas are done you can mash a few of them to thicken the sauce.  Start your rice (or grain of choice) and ground turkey.  Add the cooked ground turkey for the last five minutes of cook time and take out the bay leaf.  Enjoy
*This made about 5 servings and it is really good served over brown rice.  I am excited because this is a filling, healthy meal, hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!

 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment