Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Vegetarian Chili

Over the past year I have made an effort to have meatless meals several times a week.  I also have vegetarian friends so it is nice to try new things when I am cooking for them.  A couple weeks ago we had our good friends Kourt and Keith over for dinner (Kourt is a vegetarian), so I got to try a new chili recipe I found.  I will definitely make it again because it turned out really good.

 It has 4 kinds of beans.
 I had to take a picture when I saw how much butter Cliff put on his corn bread
 Awesome friends
 It was very yummy topped with sour cream and cheese.  Recipe for cornbread coming soon
 They were kind enough to bring over this delicious cheesecake.  We had coffee with it:)
Then we went to the pavilion to hear Florence from outside her concert, it worked and it was free!  It also poured on us, we just toughed it out with a couple umbrellas and rain jackets.  It was a lot of fun.

Four-Bean Vegetarian Chili
1 medium onion
1 green bell-pepper, diced
1 carrot, diced small (optional I just added it because I had it)
1 stick celery, diced small (optional)
2 Tbsp. Olive oil
1 can black beans, drained
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 can white kidney beans, drained
1 can fire roasted tomatoes in juice
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth (you could use beef or chicken broth if you don't care about meatless)
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
Pepper and taco seasoning to taste as needed

In a large pot saute the onion, bell pepper, celery and carrot in olive oil over medium heat.  Add seasonings and when they start to get tender pour in your broth.  Add drained beans and tomatoes in juice to the pot.  Give everything a good stir and bring to simmer.  Let simmer at least 15 minutes, longer if you can.  I let mine simmer for about an hour.  You could also do this in a crock pot if you wanted dinner to be ready when you got home from work.  Serve with cornbread.  Enjoy!
I got recipe from Daily Garnish.  I only made a few adjustments  

 The Lord is my light and my salvation—
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—
    of whom shall I be afraid?
Psalm 27:1

No comments:

Post a Comment