Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2012

Homemade Biscuits

For our wedding one of my Mom's good friends, Judy made me a cookbook with her favorite recipes in it.  It was one of my favorite gifts because I love to cook.  She is a country girl, so I trust her recipes to be tasty and hearty!  Today I tried her biscuit recipe and believe it is the recipe I will use from now on.  Hope you like them as much as we did.
 Yummy!  I used a little wheat flour and I really liked the texture.
 This is what it should look like after you cut in the shortening

 After you add buttermilk and stir it should look like this.  At this point you can knead it 5-10 times until it comes together in a soft ball of dough
 Lightly flour a surface and roll out the dough
 Looks like this and you are ready to cut!
 

 I used a cup and dipped the rim in flour before hand
 We had eggs and bacon with ours

Butter and apricot jelly and you are all set.

Judy's Biscuits (I followed her recipe, but this is the recipe cut in half and it makes 8 biscuits)
2 1/2 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup wheat flour but know they won't rise as high if you do that)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. quick rising yeast plus 1/4 cup warm water to dissolve the yeast in)
1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1 Tbsp vinegar)
1/2 cup shortening

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in shortening (I like to use a pastry cutter).  It should look like little pea sized clumps of shortening mixed with the dry stuff.  Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture.  Stir until just combined, nou may need to add more flour at this point.  You just want it to come together in a soft dough.  Knead 5-10 times and form a ball.  Flatten it out until it is about 1/2 inch thick and cut your biscuits.  Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (on parchment for easy removal).

Enjoy.  I know there are not a lot of tips/details, but you can find easy tips and how-to's online.  I watched a video a while back to learn how to handle biscuit dough, you do not want to over-work it! 

P.S. These are really good reheated on a skillet with a little butter.  If you want a sweet treat add biscoff to them:)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lauren! I always read your blog, but it would never let me post. These biscuits look delicious and I wish I had been there to eat them. Love you!

    ReplyDelete