Pages

Friday, September 28, 2012

Avocado Chicken Salad

As I have mentioned, I take my lunch to work everyday, and there is no way to heat it.  That means I eat a lot of the same stuff or get desperate creative.  This week I was getting down to the minimum for lunches, basically I ran out of pita pockets (which I have been taking every day lately).  I didn't want to go to the store so I ended up creating this chicken salad and I am glad I did.  I don't know why I didn't think to make chicken salad like this a long time ago.  By the way, there is no mayo in this recipe!  I now have a new lunch idea to add to my collection of cold lunches.  Hope you enjoy this as much as me.  I made this in small batches, but you could easily make it for an appetizer at a group gathering, or lunch with the ladies! 
 I dipped tortilla chips in it, would be good on crackers, pretzels, bread, etc.
 I used half an avocado, diced some and mashed some
 Lunch
Tastes better than it looks, I took this for lunch two days in a row and plan to get more stuff so I can take it again next week!

Simple Avocado Chicken Salad
(4 servings, but you could make it single servings easily)
1can chicken, 13oz
2 avocados (could use 1 if you wanted, I like a lot of avocado)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
2 Tbsp. Salsa
taco seasoning to taste
pepper

Mix all ingredients together and serve cold.  Serve on tortilla chips (really good), pretzels, crackers, pitas, bread, or whatever you enjoy.  My friend made this after I told her about it and she said her husband liked it too!
*When I made this for my lunches, I make it fresh each day so the avocado stays good.  Basically I divide the can of chicken into 4 servings.  Cut my avocado in half and store the other wrapped in saran wrap.  Then I just add a scoop of cottage cheese and salsa and seasonings to taste.  This would be a great item to take on a picnic or just a nice snack/meal on the weekends.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment