Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Lean Green Cleaning Machine

GREEN MONSTER!  I made one and can hardly believe it.  The first time I saw a smoothie that had spinach in it I thought, "I don't think I will ever be that healthy-that's going a little too far..."  I gave in after reading so many benefits from several different blogs.  Iowa Girl Eats is who finally convinced me.  I think the benefits that stuck out to me were:
  • Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin A, C, K, iron, fiber, folate, and lutein (since I have been eating less meat, I need more iron).
  • People who drink them usually talk about how much energy it gives them.
  • Good source of fiber and easy way to get vegetable servings in early in the day.
So, after my short pilates video I headed in to the kitchen to make the monster.  I got the original recipe from Oh She Glows.  I modified mine just a little.
This was my last blending stage.  I put about 2 Tbsp. Peanut butter and 1 Tbsp. raw oats!
 It looked more green than this but you can tell it is smooth and creamy!
 It was not as green as expected but it still kind of freaks you out to drink a green smoothie...ha!
I have to give you my pros and cons and it should help you decide if you should go for it (you should).
Pros:
  • It kept me full for about 5 hours
  • I felt really good after I drank it and throughout the entire day
  • It tasted good and it can be made many different ways
  • It is creamy and frothy and it is cool to say I had a green monster for breakfast...it feels like you accomplished something
  • The flavor of your smoothie stays about the same...so spinach could be added to your favorite smoothie (next I am going to try it with My Favorite Smoothie).
  • Nutritionally a great start to your day with 1 serving of veggies, 1 serving of fruit, 1 serving of dairy, 1/4 serving grains (flax + oats), 1 serving protein (from peanut butter + protein powder), fiber (fiber always make me excited lol because it helps keep you full and regular)
Cons:
  • The color kind of freaked me out (but you get used to it)
  • The texture is a little different.  I recommend you blend it very well.  Occasionally I could kind of feel the spinach (it was very small and it was not bad, but again it is something in you mind saying that is spinach in your smoothie). Don't worry because it is NOT slimy!
Basically, after you start drinking it and get used to the color and texture (which is not bad to begin with), it is really good.  More importantly, I will be making this again!  I will probably try to have it about 2-4 times a week.  To be honest I am already craving another one.  Here is my adapted recipe:
Green Monster (Lauren Style)
2 cups spinach
3/4 cup milk (I used 2 %)
1/4 cup plain non-fat yogurt (would be good with vanilla also)
4-5 cubes ice
1/2 scoop protein powder (prob. close to 2 Tbsp.)
2 tsp. flax
1 sliced, frozen banana
2 Tbsp. peanut butter (add last as seen above)
1 Tbsp. oats (add last as seen above)

Place ingredients in blender in order listed.  Blend until very smooth (spinach should get super tiny).  Add peanut butter and oats at the end and blend until well mixed.  Pour into a glass and enjoy!
My Mom asked about the calories so I figured it up and it is approx 550 calories.  There is a lot of protein because I used peanut butter and protein powder (if I had vanilla yogurt, I would omit protein powder most likely).  Like I said, this kept me full for a long time so the calories don't bother me!


Danielle and me went for a power walk today (good thing I had a lot of energy).  I got to cleaning when I got home and our apt is looking really nice now!  After a cleaning for a while, I was ready for a veggie burger.  I used to have veggie burgers all the time in college (especially when I lived alone).  Since I am trying to eat less meat, I decided I needed to get some veggie burgers.  I bought Morning Star Garden Veggie Patties:

This may be my new favorite.
 Pickles, tomato, honey mustard, spinach, cheese, ketchup.
 On a delightful bagel thin from B & D.
This was so delicious!!!  I can't wait to make another.  The box says the dietary exchange is 2 veggies and 1 lean protein.  I will say this, if you have never had a veggie burger, don't expect it to taste like beef.  It tastes similar to a burger because it had the same toppings, but it does not taste like beef.  I love them.
My snacks today were fage mango yogurt and 2 cuties!  I did a puzzle with Danielle and headed to the grocery store before dinner.  I didn't really feel like cooking so I just whipped out some good ol' mac and cheese and made that with green beans.
 I like to rinse my green beans before putting them in the skillet with a little olive oil.  I followed the package directions on the mac.  This three cheese flavor was really good!
Hit the spot.
Finished with a delicious peanut cluster!
Hope everybody has a great weekend!!  I am really excited to hang out with Cliff. 



No comments:

Post a Comment